POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : max_trace_level : Re: max_trace_level Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max_trace_level
From: Thies Heidecke
Date: 19 Aug 2002 05:11:31
Message: <3d60b643@news.povray.org>
Hi,

"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote in
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
> "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in
>
> >> Some older scenes, especialy using lens flares [1] macros need AFAIR
> >> mex_trace_level of 500 ... 3000
> > No, you not only not needed it, but you could not have used it either.
> >  If you had needed such a max_trace_level there would have been a hard
> > crash of POV-Ray long before you had reached it.
>
> are You shure ?
>
> I ques that You are talking about i.e. glas - where each ray needs to next
> rays (reflected and refracted) and that in 256 levels leads to 2^256 rays
> with shurely will crash pov.
>
> but imagine
> 1. solid mirror (no filter)
> 2. only filter (like lans flare)
>
> and Im 100% shure that levels >256 are needed - some scenes with flares
> rendered incorecctly at level < 500 (they contained black spots), and
> author alsow informed in documentation that max_trace_level >1000 is needed
just for comparison:
many commercial 3D-Apps limit their Raytracing Recursionlevel to something
between 10 and 20, at most perhaps 100, so the current limit of 256 is already
exceptional compared with other Applications.

Greetings,
Thies